Just Wondering

About working with a sponsor or being one

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just Wondering

Post by Bill » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Since there doesn't appear to be much activity in this section of the Forum on Sponsoring I'm just wondering why? Have most folks that participate in the Forum found sponsors useful or not? Had trouble finding a sponsor? Had good or not so good experiences with having or being a sponsor? Would love to read your comments about this.

Bill

BarbaraR
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BarbaraR » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:08 am

My experience after 2 yrs in ht (live weekly meetings) is most people aren't recovered enough (or ready as Phil put it) to be sponsors.

In AA sponsoring seems to be more focused on recovery maintaining recovery by becoming a sponsor, regularly working with/mentoring/sponsoring another less recovered addict on getting thru the 12 Steps.

In hth I have found that the emphasis seems to be on developing a real, lasting revalatory relationship with the Savior, partaking fully of the atonement, getting out of codependence and relying on others or addictions for comfort, healing power and knowledge.

I have found a couple of people who are more recovered than I am at my hth meetings. And it has been a blessing to have them in my life to call and get myself out of the isolation and judgement that feeds my addictions.

I am grateful for these"sponsors" with whom I can be myself, who will not judge me or take over the role of Christ in my life.

I do wish I had a sponsor in hth who worked the steps more like AA, but it has been very helpful for me in hth to have relationships that are not codependent.

I have really had to fire my old God (myself, others) and have had to turn to Christ more seriously than I ever have before. I found out I was an idol worshipper just like the Isrealites in the wilderness and the pagans who worshipped Baal.

I am thinking about going to AA to go thru the steps with an recovering alcoholic as a sponsor. I think there is something to be gained by having a sponsor who has really done the 12 Steps, worked the program, been converted, become a new creature. REally given up their addictions to God as they understand him.

tomk

my view of sponsors

Post by tomk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:40 pm

Bill:

I would love to be a sponsor, because I like helping people, but I lack the required length of sobriety, patience, stability, etc. :) I am a real mess. Most of the advice I give, I myself follow imperfectly.

Plus, I think I still lack the answers to a few soul-deep questions that Phil and some others seem to have found but find hard to articulate to the rest of us.

In the end, sponsors don't do anything FOR you, except tell you what you already know, and encourage you to DO what you already know you should be doing. And they sacrifice a lot of time for those they help.

I think where they help the most is providing some surrogate accountability as our relationship with Christ matures. And something as simple as a shoulder to cry on.

Only Christ can heal us, change us, make us well, give us peace. But towards that end, he makes use of sponsors to help Him help us. The only good sponsors do is the good that Christ inspires them with.