Some thoughts about "service"

About working with a sponsor or being one

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
IreneW
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Some thoughts about "service"

Post by IreneW » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Even though I have been working on the 12 steps for over 20 years I have never had a “sponsor” or been a “sponsor”.
I was thinking this morning of how I don't feel qualified to be a sponsor. Then the words of the baptismal covenant that Alma taught at the waters of Mormon came to my mind:

“...and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light;
Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn;
yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort,
and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in,”
Mosiah 18:8-9

The thought came to me that I can help “bear the burdens” of my fellow addicts by being there for them to listen to them and their struggles to be delivered from bondage. Knowing that we are not alone can provide tremendous relief and hope, and make our burden lighter.
Because I too have been in bondage to behaviors that I couldn't stop on my own, I can “mourn” with those who are struggling. I feel great sorrow for my sinfulness and can understand and be compassionate for others like me.
We all need to be “comforted” by someone who does not judge or condemn us, but who can truly understand.
And finally or maybe more appropriately firstly, I can stand as a “witness” that Jesus is the only way to recovery. Even if my codependent self wants to “fix”, the truth is that “fixing” is not in my power.
It is my understanding that one of the reasons for the sponsoring program was to give those in recovery the opportunity for service. This would help keep their addiction in remission.
We all have covenanted, right at our baptism, to be there for one another. So even if we are not officially sponsors, we still can reach out to each other and fulfill our baptismal promises.

Seeking
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Seeking » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:02 am

Did you volunteer to be a sponsor? I have been working the 12 steps for 2 1/2 years. I feel I could benefit greatly from a sponsor but also wonder if I need to be a sponsor. When do you feel you know enough, are practiced enough to help someone else, even while you still need reminding, and redirecting yourself?