Stewardship

For those of us who can't get it all together, or if we have, have forgotten where we put it

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Wendy J
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Stewardship

Post by Wendy J » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 am

I have been totally overwhelmed by my home lately. It is not a peaceful place to be. I cannot be in my home without being bombarded by thoughts of everything that needs to be done and taken care of.

It dawned on me sometime last night or this morning - everything I own requires care and attention. I buy a couch - it needs to be mended where the seam is unravelling. I buy knick-knacks - they need to be dusted. I buy craft supplies - they need to be organized and stored. The stamps I used need to be cleaned and the dishes I used need to be washed. The clothes need to be washed and ironed and hung back up again. The bench needs to be reupholstered. The wobbly chair needs to be repaired and so does the wobbly toilet. The plants need to be watered and repotted, the carpet needs to be vacuumed and cleaned, the burnt-out light bulbs need replacing.

Not to mention all the "dream" projects - the chandelier that needs replacing with a prettier fixture, the kitchen that needs remodeling, the scrapbook pages waiting to be done, the jewlery waiting to be made, the pictures waiting to be painted.

I, a childless woman, am living in a houseful of children all screaming for my attention. It is a constant cacophany of noise and guilt. I realized - this is really what stewardship is all about. It's about realizing that I need to take every purchase just as seriously as I would consider adopting a new puppy. You can't just buy stuff and bring it home and expect it to just sit there and behave like inanimate matter. It needs attention. And it will scream at you until it gets it. It will disrupt your life.

So, to be a good steward, I need to make sure than I never have more stuff than I am able to care for. Just like I would never adopt a second dog right now because even though I would like to, I know I do not have the time/energy/means to care for another dog - I need to realize that I do not have the time/energy/means to care for all the STUFF in my house and that I will never find peace in my life until I am able to eliminate everything that is beyond my ability to care for.

I'm not talking about dropping my current dog at the pound - I am talking about getting rid of the stuff that ISN'T important so that I have time for the things that ARE. And my dog is important! The hard thing is going to be trying to figure out which are the least important things when I'm drowning in so much stuff. Which goes first? The musical instruments, the scrapbooking supplies, the jewelery making supplies, the miniatures and plans for a dollhouse, the cake decorating supplies, the collection of dishes, the crossstich projects, the art supplies, the drawing pencils, the watercolors, the childhood toys, the sewing projects, the huge collection of music waiting to be organized, the boxes of photos waiting to be scanned, the VHS tapes that need to be converted to DVD, the gardening plans, the books, the games, the fitness equipment, the clothes that don't fit but might someday, the shoes and the purses, the makeup, the jewelry, the...

How can I get rid of ANY of this?

Wendy

PhilH
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by PhilH » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 pm

One of the ideas that has trapped me into keeping a lot of stuff (read "junk") is the thought that I might not have the means to replace it if I ever need it again. Call that "scarcity mentality." I think I must have inherited it from my parents who started their family during the Great Depression.

It has helped me to try to start trusting God, that He will provide if I need something later. I look at the stuff around my house, and realize that a lot of it is stuff I will never use. When I made the initial decision to keep it, I couldn't see it that way. I thought maybe I could repair this broken chair, or that broken fan. After 10 or 15 years it is becoming obvious that I never will. I don't have the time, and even if I did, I either don't know how, or the item is broken beyond repair anyway. If I only could have seen it that way years ago.

Another thought that has helped me is to ask, what would it cost me to add on to my house enough storage rooms to house this stuff? Is it really worth, say, $20,000 or $30,000 to keep this stuff? I need to have rooms that are not full of junk, where I can relax and enjoy the Spirit without the stuff nagging at me.

Wendy, may I suggest starting with the clothes that don't fit anymore? One thought that has helped me there is to realize that if I ever get back to that size, those things will be out of style by then. So why not let someone else get the use of them while they are still in style? God will provide if and when I get back to that size and need clothes again.

I like what you said about the stuff. It really owns us, rather than us simply owning it. Having too much stuff is a kind of bondage, isn't it.

Thanks for some great thoughts.

Phil

Dionne

Free from Stuff

Post by Dionne » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Wendy,
I don't know if this is still paralyzing you, all of your stuff, or if you've started to make some headway in getting rid of it. I just wanted to testify that when I went through a purge a few years ago, it created a vacuum in my life, which I then filled with things that were healthier for me-friendships, studying, time to ponder, working on my relationship with God... I felt free from the stuff. It was really amazing. Nature abhors a vacuum and when one is created, it will get filled-but this time you can be purposeful about what will be in that space.

Dionne