Simplify This House

For those of us who can't get it all together, or if we have, have forgotten where we put it

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lanette
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Simplify This House

Post by Lanette » Thu May 25, 2006 12:08 pm

"It's time to simplify this house, Straighten out this mess,
Open up the windows and let the winds of change through,
It's time to simplify this house, wipe away my pride,
Rearrange my heart, and let the light inside."

I love the message of this song! I find my problem comes in definitely with my pride. Isn't that the true root of all evil, not 'the love of money'? I first have to let go of 'the world', the 'things' of the world, the 'appearances' that impress 'the world'....pride. Open my heart to things of God, to the light and love of God, to clean up this physical and spiritual mess and get to a place where the love of God and for God can dwell and remain. But the invitation must be offered every day to Him (Alma : pray continually) through faith unto communication, faith unto repentance and faith unto a desire to obey. Will repentance and obedience clean up the store room? I guess obedience will if I obey the 'organize yourselves in every needful thing' scripture. I really do let in so much that is less important. Sad, but true. I think I better get off this unnecessary computer and move toward the repentance and obedience of the storage room!
Lanette

Tricia V
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tricia V » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:30 am

I do think in a large sense money is the form taken by the god of this world. Loving money is an expression of pride, in that we put our trust in money rather than in God.

Mum

"Be" not "Do"

Post by Mum » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:32 am

Lynette wrote:
... to clean up this physical and spiritual mess and get to a place where the love of God and for God can dwell and remain.
My caution is to not let the doing overtake the being. We cannot "do" ourselves into heaven or make ourselves worthy or clean enough (that is what the atonement was for). God has asked us to be - to be His - to be willing to let him in even in our dirtiest most messy places. Christ is the one who does the cleaning, when we are willing.

Mum

susanie

Post by susanie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:41 pm

"We are human be-ings not human do-ings." - Karole K. Truman

As we come unto Christ and allow him to perfect us, the doing will come naturally out of what we have become.

-Susanie

muttley56

Post by muttley56 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi

I am 50 year old LDS male and I am not new to the 12 Steps of the Lord of the LDS Social Services. After much suffering and denial, I am working Step 1 of the 12 steps. I am also doing 1 act of service for someone and 1 act of service for my wife every day. This keeps my mind off myself and helps to not let me get overwhemled by my addictions. I do not have any dependency addictions with drugs or alcohol or with having inappropriate s~xual relationships. My addictions have to do with pride and involve carnal thoughts and confessed past sins. Even years before I self abused myself mentally and beat myself for inappropriate thoughts and past mistake, I was a perfectionist and I was obsessed with doing everything right. And I mean everything - including the perfectionism of my penmanship to having to to have my body overly clean. Therefore, I was diagnosed with OCD - mainly bad repetative thoughts - 23 years ago. However, unbeknownist to me then, was that for many years - even during my childhood - I had the Bipolar Disorder Axis 2, with depression being the main problem.
It is a fine line with me between my mental illness - that also causes my body to ache - and my spiritual illness, which affects my whole soul. Therefore, I have been getting overwhemled starting Step 1 of the 12 Steps. I am currently searching the scriptures - particularly the Book of Mormon - pondering the words of the ancient prophets, and praying to Lord for guidance and direction. The clutter in my mind is great right now, but I start this first step knowing I desire to take one baby step and one day at a time. With the Lord's help, I know I will find the way He wants me to go.

Dave