Interesting observations

For those of us who can't get it all together, or if we have, have forgotten where we put it

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kara
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Interesting observations

Post by Kara » Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 am

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that on the days that I am honestly turning to the Lord and seeking His will above my own agenda that the cleaning and/or organizing that I do in my home is not fear- or stress-driven, and doesn't make me ignore my kids or my husband. And sometimes I have actually enjoyed it (that's never happened before), and the Lord helps me to have perspective on the long-term and recognize that it's just going to take a while (my house is pretty cluttered).

In contrast, on the days that I am run by self-will, where I want everything clean now, then it's almost guaranteed to be a frustrating, overwhelming experience where I get stressed out and then I'm cranky with everyone else, and I think along the lines of, "this will never be done, I'm doomed to live in squalor for the rest of my life." (It sounds rather melodramatic but that's what I say in my head.) And I usually want to give up.

I pray that today I can let go of the need to attack my house my way, and to do it in accordance with the Lord's will and on His timetable.

Kara

tomk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tomk » Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Thank you for sharing this.

As a husband, I have been HORRIBLE about helping my wife with housework.

The other day I just simply had to pray, "Please, Lord, help me have the desire to do the dishes. Give me the strength."

And He did. I did the dishes!

Somewhere, somebody is probably laughing at this.

But change comes about in such ways. The Lord worketh by means...by small means He bringeth about great things...miracles.

Kara

Post by Kara » Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Tom,

I'm sure not laughing. There have been so many times when I've known that I needed to do something that to the "average bear" (is there one? Never thought of that before) may seem so trivial but can actually be quite a struggle for me. I have needed to pray to the Lord for help in just getting up in the mornings so many days, not to mention pleading for hellp to get up at night with a crying child, to take out the garbage, to go to church (some Sundays that's really hard for me, you'd think it'd be easy since the Lord is so good to me but it can really be a struggle sometimes), making lunch for my kids, etc. I really need the Lord's help, especially on those days when all I want to do is just escape in whatever I want to escape in, or to crawl into my self-centered place and hide out.

Usually if something is really good for me and I know it will be of a huge benefit to me (like reading my scriptures, praying, going to church, serving selflessly, exercising, eating right, etc.), then that initial pull to just get started can be really difficult. My "natural woman" puts up quite a struggle sometimes, and I just don't have the willpower to do it or to make myself. I marvel and I am so grateful that the Lord is so accessible that he can bless me with His enabling power to just do what for someone else would be just "basic stuff". Sometimes I have to pray for quite a while, over and over again, and then something that seems initially impossible for me to have the strength to do is something that I can get up and actually do. He is awesome. :)

Kara

tomk

Post by tomk » Sun May 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

That which we resist is what we need the most - isn't it?

This testimony you have of the Savior's ability to help you - with any and all aspecs of life -- this testimony you have is worth more than all the riches of the world.

Matthew 13
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

Indeed, Christ is that pearl that, when found, we find ourselves willing to "sell all that we hath" in order to possess it.

May the Lord walk by your side!