QUESTIONS FOR NEXT WEEK IN HE DID DELIVER ME FROM BONDAGE

For posting sharing from the Online Meetings or questions about the online meeting program.

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
judy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

QUESTIONS FOR NEXT WEEK IN HE DID DELIVER ME FROM BONDAGE

Post by judy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:27 am

step 3 questions we start step 3 next week in the 9 am meeting
ASSIGNMENT FOR THIS WEEK: 1. Write about how thinking of Christ as “my Jesus” could affect your feelings for Him. Does this expression feel comfortable to you? Why or why not? 2. Read “Born of God” by President Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, July 1989. Capture some thoughts from it. 3. Call someone and share your thoughts and feelings about what you’ve read. Preparation for discussion of principle three: “I KNOW IN WHOM I HAVE TRUSTED” (2 Nephi 4:19) Step 3: Made the decision to reconcile ourselves to the will of God, offer our whole souls as an offering unto Him, and trust Him in all things forever. (2 Nephi 10:24; Omni 1:26; Mosiah 3:19; 2 Nephi 4:34) Day 1: 1 Nephi 18:11—Write about why, according to this verse, the Lord “suffers,” or in other words “allows,” us to be in bondage at times. (See also John 9:1–3 for further insight into why God allows forms of bondage such as physical handicaps.) Day 2: 2 Nephi 10:24—Nephi asks us to conform, to adapt our will to the will of God. When we act on our compulsive/addictive behavior, it is because we want something we can’t have. Our will is at odds with the will of God. We have surrendered it instead to the will of the flesh or the devil (two different phenomena, by the way). Write about the struggle you’d like to be saved from, and whose power it is that can save you. What is that power called? Day 3: Jacob 4:10—To counsel means to give advice. Often when we pray we seek more to advise the Lord in what we think He should do for us or others (“Dear Lord, please bless so-and-so that such-and-such will happen”), than to listen for His counsel or advice. Write in the form of a question something that has been troubling you, addressing it to the Lord. Then listen and record the answer you receive. Make a few notes here, then write at greater length in your notebook or permanent journal. Day 4: Mosiah 3:19—How old do you picture the “little child” mentioned in this scripture? A tiny infant? A two-year-old? Remember that two-year-olds aren’t too good at “yielding” or “submitting.” Write about how young a child you are willing to become to your Heavenly Father and just how far you are willing to submit in all things that He might see fit to “inflict” upon you. Day 5: Mosiah 7:33—Often, being released from the bondage of a compulsive/addictive behavior is a process rather than a singular event. Write about your willingness or lack of willingness to submit to the Lord’s will and “pleasure” (remembering that His pleasure is to bring to pass your immortality and eternal life through your experiences of this life—both good and “bad”). Day 6: Mosiah 24:14–15—What happened to the burdens these people struggled with when they put their trust in God to deliver them? Write about whether you could be satisfied to have God lighten your burdens instead of removing them. Can you be long-suffering and patient with Him and with yourself? (There’s a saying in Twelve Step programs: “You’ve got to love the process.”) Day 7: Alma 5:13—In this verse the mighty change of heart is equated with humbling yourself and putting your trust in “the true and living God.” Write about what the words “true and living,” as applied to God, mean to you. How is He “true” and “living” as compared to the “god” (source of strength and comfort) you’ve made of your compulsion? P.S. May I encourage you again to take the phone number of someone else in the Twelve Step group you are attending and call and share with them what you’re learning. We never learn better than by teaching someone else. Teach someone else something you’ve learned from this lesson.
5/1/2014 9:20 am (mt) judy: I pray that as we go through this week and do these assignments we will grow as to what step 3 means and what it can do to help in our recovery

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable