Sunday, May 18, 2014 Reading

For posting sharing from the Online Meetings or questions about the online meeting program.

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
KeithH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sunday, May 18, 2014 Reading

Post by KeithH » Sun May 18, 2014 8:57 am

I felt a need this morning to revisit some material from the AA Big Book. Our reading for today is from pp 46 and 47 of the AA Big Book, 4th Edition

Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power gr eater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another’s conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men [and women].

When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God. This applies, too, to other spiritual expressions which you find in this book. Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him. Afterward, we found ourselves accepting many things which then seemed entirely out of reach. That was growth, but if we wished to grow we had to begin somewhere. So we used our own conception, however limited it was.

KeithH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My share

Post by KeithH » Sun May 18, 2014 9:03 am

Several things strike me from this reading. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. … When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God…. At the start, this was all we needed to commence spiritual growth, to effect our first conscious relation with God as we understood Him.

What a blessing that God is patient and loving with me. If I had to really get it right, right from the get-go, I would be done for. I need to remember that he is willing to accept me and love me and communicate with me even if my understanding of him is not yet fully developed, even if I am struggling with whether I want him to be God, even if my understanding of him is flawed or limited. And he extends that same love and patience to every one of his children.

So, I need to extend that kind of patience and love to those around me, too. I need to trust that God will work it all out for them, just as he is working it all out for me, in so many ways that I cannot see in advance, but looking back, see a marvelous divine design in the events of my life.

Many years ago, I heard someone offer an analogy of what God is like. Imagine a toddler just learning to walk. She falls down often, but gets up again and tries again. Her parents aren’t angry with her – they are excited for her. They hold out their arms, inviting her to walk to them, knowing that the falling and getting up again are an essential part of learning to walk. And they know that the pains and frustrations of falling down over and over are worth it, because their child will be SO much more capable after she learns to walk.

It made a tremendous difference in my life to begin to see God as that loving parent holding out his arms to me, a toddler, while I am learning to walk, and falling down a lot.

The picture that came into my mind yesterday of me climbing onto my Heavenly Father’s lap to be cuddled and comforted, then running off to play some more, and coming back to have him kiss my booboos better, expands that view of God for me.

When I am tempted, or even slip, instead of feeling shameful, and perhaps staying away from God for fear of what he will think, if I see myself as that little boy, I am eager to run to him and tell him “Papa, I have a booboo. Please make it better.” And he does. And as I relax in his arms, I am again filled with his love.

What a miracle that he leads and loves each of us in the way that is best for us. Thank you, Papa.

Colleen H.
Site Admin

Thanks, Keith . . .

Post by Colleen H. » Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks, Keith, so much, for taking the time to post your reading and your sharing here in the forums.

In response to your sharing my heart is so blessed this morning, and I stand all amazed at the miracle of the restored gospel (good news) that restores us to the knowledge of the true nature of God (and of ourselves at the same time): that He is most literally, truly, our Father, and we are most literally, His children. That we are of the same kind of being as He is. That it isn't just a figure of speech that we are His children.

How grateful I am to know Him this way, as "Abba," as Papa. And how grateful I am that He sent Jesus to invite me and remind me to see my Heavenly Father this personally and intimately. There is certainly nothing "arms length" about this invitation.

Thanks, again, Keith, for posting here.

In fellowship and gratitude,
Colleen :)