The Exact Nature of what is "Wrong" with Me

No questions, no advice, just sharing

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Colleen H.
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Exact Nature of what is "Wrong" with Me

Post by Colleen H. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:05 am

Let's start with a scripture, as the song goes, "A very good place to start."

O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy. (2 Nephi 4:33)

In other words, the mission of Christ in offering us safety by cleaving to us (Jacob 6:5) and wrapping us in His robes of righteousness is to save us from the lies of Satan and his hordes (our greatest enemies) that scream self-blame and shame and outright hatred at us continually.

In other words, part of being a peaceable follower of Christ, as mentioned by Moroni, in Moroni 7:3, includes being delivered from self-hatred. It includes being at peace with “all men,” including ourselves. This is what it means to “enter into His rest.”

Anytime I feel myself not being at peace with anyone–even my own self, whether in my past or present life–then I know I have chosen to abandon the “rest” the Savior offers me and I have chosen to “go back out there,” as the AA fellows would put it, and have started blaming and shaming someone–and especially myself. I am, personally, so much quicker to attribute blame (take responsibility) to myself than to anyone else. If anything went wrong or is wrong or has ever been wrong, I am sure it is my doing, my failure, my responsibility, my fault. This is the lie that is at the root of all my “run-away,” “numb-out” behaviors. This is the “exact nature” of what is “wrong” with me.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable