A Daily Reprieve

No questions, no advice, just sharing

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Colleen H.
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Daily Reprieve

Post by Colleen H. » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:43 am

Shared at the online meeting, this morning.
December 30, 2014
6:31 a.m.

I woke up this morning and the first thoughts that were going through my mind were these:

I’ve been reading through my journal pages from 1963, when I started keeping them at 14 years old, over the last month or two. In the last week, I’ve finally come to the 1980s. I started attending a 12 Step fellowship in 1981. It was a program that required its participants to make 3 “reach out” calls a day, so that we could support and encourage ourselves and others along in recovery. I don’t think I ever made three a day, at least not at first. But, even one or two kept me thinking and talking recovery principles (steps) with others. We read together over the phone from the 12 Step literature (AA books, mainly), and from the daily thought books that AA and OA put out.

And my PREDOMINANT way of thinking and feeling began to change toward hope and faith in God, as I understood God. I began to study LDS literature for my own survival, not just because I was trying to “do what is right.” I began to capture in my journal from scriptures and prophets quotes. And my recovery (internal reorientation toward God) became 10 times more specific and more power-filled, literally.

I found myself too busy rejoicing in an awakening realization that personal communion (conscious awareness of God’s Spirit–His peace, His counsel, His comfort, His living Presence) could be daily in my life. Not just once in a while. I began to experience the miracle of His saving grace (power), His at-one-ment, daily. I remained in a “state of grace,” of DELIVERANCE from the fear and regret and resentment and loneliness that fueled my unhealthy eating and unwise spending.

And people saw the change in me. Unfortunately, the change they saw in me was the one most visible–and the one virtually every one “lusts” after (craves, longs for, desires) the most: weight loss. My body dropped multiple sizes and of course, my health improved. And people began to ask me how I did that.

And so I went back into my journals and began to glean out the thoughts, the capturing, the quotes and insights that had awakened me to the Light, the Life and the Way–in other words, to Jesus Christ, specifically. And eventually, it coalesced into HDDMFB.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a “do this” or “eat only this,” or whatever diet plan in HDDMFB, and many people couldn’t see how looking to God, coming closer to Him, beginning to KNOW He lives for them, personally–would ever change their outward habits. And most have laid HDDMFB down before doing what needs to be done to go from following the example of scripture study and literature study (using capturing to internalize these true principles) – and taking that daily dose (even three times a day if necessary) (or five small doses, or six) etc.

I’m pretty sure that if we were dying of cancer or we were in kidney failure–and had to gave multiple doses of help (meds, chemo, dialysis, etc), we would do it. But we are so resistant to looking to Christ as consistently as we need to. Keeping communion with Him in spirit and in truth simmering on the back burner of our mind continually as we go about our outward activities.

Me too!!!! Mortality never quits happening until we quit breathing. I’m still breathing, so I’m still in need of Step One as much as all the other steps–these principles of continually renewed humility.

Thanks for letting me share.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable