The paraple of the hay fever cycle

No questions, no advice, just sharing

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JodyJ
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The paraple of the hay fever cycle

Post by JodyJ » Mon May 25, 2015 7:06 am

Yesterday in sacrament meeting, a lady told a parable she had experienced in her own life about hay fever.  She said that every spring, she gets hay fever. And she suffers from it very severely.  So, every year, she has to take allergy medicine religiously. After a while taking it, she says to herself: "Oh, I guess I'm over this. I don't need to take the meds anymore." It never fails, though. A couple of days after stopping, she is flat in bed again.  So she starts taking her meds again, and when they kick in, she's ok again. Then, at some point, she forgets all about that experience and repeats the cycle.  I found this painfully familiar.  I think I'm fine, start attributing my success to my own strength, and forget to pray, study, capture, etc.  Soon I am back to stuffing my face with carbs, wasting time on the stupid computer, being unkind to those around me, loathing myself, resenting others, etc.  Then I have to go repent and turn to God again. Then I feel better.  At some point, I forget and the cycle begins again.  But the lady said something in her talk that made me think.  It's about remembering where the blessings are coming from.  The topic of the talk was tithing.  She was saying that we may not think we are being blessed from paying tithing, but it's because we have been paying so long and are used to the blessings.  We aren't recognizing them as blessings. We think they are a normal part of life, or that we are causing the blessings.  We aren't causing the blessings!  They aren't a normal part of life! They are blessings directly from heaven. If I can remember that and acknowledge the hand of the Lord in all things in my life, I can stay sober from my addictions. 

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable