THE ONLY DEGREE OF PEACE THAT BRINGS ME GENUINE SANITY

No questions, no advice, just sharing

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Colleen H.
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Colleen H. » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm

The following sharing was an entry in my July 2003 journal. It is even truer for me today in the face of world and national events as well as aging and watching the challenges of my 11 children who are in their 30s and 40s.

I mean, truly, mortality just keeps piling up and piling on. Let's thank God for any degree of recovery (sanity) we can open our hearts and minds to receive!

July 2003

Today, I see that it isn’t reading the scriptures that brings us the peace Christ promises--that passes understanding.

I see that it isn’t going to church that brings us this peace. Neither is it found in any amount of service to others. It isn’t even in getting married in the temple to the right person at the right time that brings us this peace!

This ultimate peace that floods your soul and reaches to its depths comes only from experiencing the Presence of God–and being in conscious contact with the very mind and heart of God. It’s being in the presence of a living entity. That is the only way to feel this supernatural, supernal, irrational, all-pervading peace and calmness.

It’s a peace that gives you peace and calmness sufficient to clear your mind of fear and give you the ability to hear/feel/perceive the Spirit of Sanity. That’s how and why conscious contact/communion with God restores us to sanity.

It isn’t that we start acting sane and then sanity sets in. It isn’t something that we practice until we get it right.

You can’t "practice" calmness into a frightened mind, but you can be sure God can whisper calmness into a frightened soul. He can reach in with feeling, with mood, with spirit, with contagious calm. And that is exactly what God does to restore us to sanity.

We are restored to sanity–calmed down enough that we can begin to think clearly and see the truth (or lack of) in our life--by the “whisperings†of the Spirit of the Lord. By the amazing gentleness of His Spirit, or His Presence. It is not something you can just conjure up. It is not some thing that you can imagine.

The experience of God's peaceful presence is not vain imagination at work.

It is something bigger and beyond your imagination.

It is imagination in a sense, but it is imagination moved upon by the power of God–filled with the Reality of God.

It is as if our imagination is a function, a capacity, a capability to receive and magnify input from external sources and influences–whether that influence be unto fear and negativity and faithlessness or whether that influence be unto life and hope and positive feelings and encouragement.

And the ultimate use of that power is to allow the Presence of God, in other words, to allow the mind and heart, the words and feelings of God to be enthroned there.

It is to allow yourself to enjoy the companionship of God by allowing the Holy Ghost to take possession of that capacity of imagination (the ability to picture or "image" ) in your brain, so that He can prepare a place fit for the personal influence of the Son to enter in. And so that, in turn, the Son can restore you to the living Presence of the Father–in part now–in fullness later.

--end of entry--

Validating scriptures:
John 14:18
Moroni 7:3

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable