True Recovery

No questions, no advice, just sharing

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

True Recovery

Post by Stephen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 am

A couple thoughts:

I was at a meeting and heard a couple things that resonated with me:

- I have been struggling with a question the last couple days that I haven't been able to put into words. In answer to prayer, I heard someone say at a meeting that recovery is more than sobriety. It is feeling peace. It is not a state of irratability and anxiousness. There is happiness in sobriety! The irratability and anxiousness are feelings I had been having. I began asking myself, "should I be more grateful?" "Should I be more grateful for where I am at? Afterall, I am 'sober'?" "Why am not feeling the joy from sobriety?" I realized that there is more to sobriety and there was something I could do to get more out of it. I am feeling better at the moment. Some of the things that helped me through the negative feelings were to reach out, and also to attend a meeting in person and via phone. I was so grateful when I finally felt the darkness in my mind (darkness - even though I was not yet acting out in my mind yet). I felt I was able to relax and feel peace again. What a relief to know there is more to recovery!

- I heard someone compare addiction to an Alergy. Some people are effected by polins in the air, and some people are not. For those that aren't, they can't understand the experience of those that are. For those that are, medicines help, but allergies can get to the point that they don't help. This comparison helped me to see that I am an addict. Just like someone with an alergy, I will always be an addict. While I may not be able to stay away from polins in the air, I can stay away from triggers for my addiction, and I can do many things to keep myself physically fit. Those who are not addicts don't alwayas understand why the triggers bother me so much. But I am an addict, and I need to remember that means I need to alwaya medicate myself appropriately. Just like if I had an allergy. This needs to be my behavior for forever. Just like an alergy, I will never not be an addict.

By saying this, I am not saying that I will struggle for the rest of my life, but I am saying that if I accept that my recovery i life long, then so can be my sobriety and happiness!

My apologies for any spelling/grammer errors: I don't always have time to reread before posting. Thanks!

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable