STep 12 day 5

Sharing and capturing on Heart t' Heart's principal workbook

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Colleen Barton
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

STep 12 day 5

Post by Colleen Barton » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Mosiah 27:25 "Marvel not that all mankind...must be born again;yea, born of God."

Being born again is central to living the life of a Latter Day Saint. The Book of Mormon pleads over and over for us to seek and obtain this "mighty change". Many condider this to be accomplished with baptism. Do you feel that baptism is the actual "rebirth"? Write about your thoughts and feelings concerning your own baptism. (paraphrased)

My baptism was a born again moment. I felt new and clean and close to the Lord. The next day I received the Holy Ghost and that peace that passeth understanding settled on my heart and I was filled with the Spirit, being able to understand the talks and lessons being given and hear them personally as invitations to improve. Still that wore off. I sinned. Before too long I was arguing with siblings, I stole some money, I watched inappropriate movies and told lies to myself and others.

Repenting has been a process. Often I would just go through the motions of programmed steps...admit my sin, confess to the proper authorities and promise never to do it again. As I learned the process of making amends my repentance become more sincere. As I worked through the other steps, I began to see some sins dropping out of my life.

Each time I go through a repentance process I feel baptized anew. The sacrament is an opportunity for me to think about my baptismal covenants and allow the atonement to wash away my sins. I am finding that to be "Born Again" is for me to not just remember my Savior, but to believe Him. I am born again when I know that I am forgiven and made clean in His blood.

I used to think that being born again was a once in a lifetime expereince. I thought it would come as a miraculous ability to never be tempted again. That I would never even think of sinning and that somehow that would mean the trials and tribulations of this temporal existence would magically fall into place and be perfectly manageable. I thought that somehow the Lord would take care of everything and I would be off the hook. In other words I wouldn't need to counsel with Him all the time or find in Him the strength to maintain a good work. I would be able to do it all by myself. I've never seen my thoughts so clearly. I was so decieved in my thinking.

What I see now is that my rebirth puts my Savior in the role of Father and I must learn to rely wholly upon His merits and trust Him in all things. I have to do this one day at a time. It takes so much humilty, so much loss of my "self", of my life. Being Born Again finds me in a place where there is no one or nothing that I want more than Him. And what I find in return is an abundant parent. He provides all I need and some of what I want. I am given my basic needs and friends and blessings and talents and gifts that are too many to name. And He gives them all with a hug and a smile, keeping me close and reminding me that if he's missed anything all I need to do is ask.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable