This is NOT Just Another Self-help Book

Sharing and capturing on Heart t' Heart's principal workbook

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Colleen H.
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This is NOT Just Another Self-help Book

Post by Colleen H. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:48 am

I have been reluctant for far too long to take my cue from Ammon (Alma 26:11-12) and boast of the power in the combination of the 12 Steps and the Book of Mormon that is introduced to the serious reader of HDDMFB. This is not just another “self-help” book. This is not a “self” help book at all. It is not just one of the books on your “12 Step library” shelf. This book bridges across from the powerful principles of the steps into the even more powerful (specifically pointed to one’s relationship with Jesus Christ) text of the Book of Mormon.

Joseph Smith stated (it is recorded on the “Introduction” page in the front of the Book of Mormon) that a person will get nearer to God through living by the precepts of the Book of Mormon than by ANY OTHER book. And when I went through the Book of Mormon and every one of the steps shown forth in its pages, I knew that in the steps we had at least 12 of the most powerful precepts in the Book of Mormon. These are precepts (principles) that if we will study them and internalize them and allow them to lead us along will bring us nearer and nearer to the mind (words) and heart (feelings) of Jesus Christ (and of course as one with Him, our Father in Heaven as well) than any other.

These are principles of repentance, not only for AFTER we act out (goof up, transgress, sin) but to gradually (as they settle into our heart and we awaken to the miracle of them), but they help us learn to repent (turn to God) BEFORE we act out–while we’re only being TEMPTED to act out. And thus, one day–sometimes on a hard day it’s one HOUR at a time–as we (I) look to Him, my Savior and the ETERNAL GOD (Book of Mormon title page), we are saved by “cleaving” unto Him as He desires to cleave unto us. This is no arm’s length relationship that will keep us safe from the lies of Satan. This is the equivalent of being wrapped in the robes of Christ’s own righteousness (as Nephi so beautifully put it in 2 Nephi 4). It is the equivalent of being covered by HIS merits, not our own. Thus my (our) story of coming into this fallen condition and then being recovered/rescued from it is really HIS story–a story of HIS worthiness, HIS perfect love, and not of mine. It is upon HIS merits that I am recovered, it is by HIS grace (power) and HIS alone that I get through whatever hours and days I get through without resorting to my mortal dependencies (addictions, ways of “self-soothing” myself).

11 But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things;
(Book of Mormon | Alma 26:11 - 12)

PhilH
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by PhilH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Thank you for your testimony, both written in HDDM and here, and borne in meeting after meeting.

I want to add my testimony as well, that this is the Lord's work. This is his plan for helping us get out of addiction. And the plan is not just the 12 steps, although that is a major help. The plan is Jesus Christ himself. He is the Way, and ever will be. Only through him will we gain salvation and freedom from addiction. And the 12 Steps are such a beautiful way to teach us how to come to Him. And HDDM is such a beautiful manual for teaching us how that all works.

Thanks you again for all you have given us.

Phil