Leaving my will in his hands and not taking it back

Sharing and capturing on Clean Hands, Pure Heart

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ScottPart2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Leaving my will in his hands and not taking it back

Post by ScottPart2 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:20 am

CHPH, Chapter 6, Step Three

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Made the decision to reconcile ourselves to the will of God, offer our whole souls as an offering unto Him, and trust Him in all things forever.

(2 Nephi 10:24; Omni 1:26; Mosiah 3:19; 2 Nephi 4:34)

In working Step Three, I am asked to make the decision to turn my life over to my Father in Heaven and to my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I am asked to realize that the Savior not only will save me, but actually patiently waits for me to take this step so He can save me.  He longs for me to allow Him to do what only He can do—change my heart to conform with the principles of happiness and eternal life.  He cannot force His will on me.  He must wait for my decision.  This surrender of my will and life to Him must begin with surrendering my addiction.  Taking Step Three will not be accomplished instantly, but I have become convinced I have no other option if I am to get well.  I am finally willing to begin this process and to “give away all my sins”  (Alma 22:18)

I am being reconciled to the will of God—becoming willing to accept it as my guiding principle whether or not it is what I desire.

I am glad to read in print that this “will not be accomplished instantly,” since that certainly is my experience to-date, but I have become willing to “begin this process and to [hope to be able to] give away all my sins.”  May the Lord help me through his grace to give my will to him.

So why can’t addicts just give their will to God and be done with it?  Why don’t they just stop the behavior which is causing them grief and be done with it—whether they ask for help from God or not?

I think it’s because they [I, we] can’t.  Yes, there are some physical symptoms and withdrawal to deal with, but I think deeper than that, they [I, we] can’t because they don’t want to.  They [I, we] are not willing to live without their behavior and its rewards for whatever reason.

Heavenly Father, please continue to help me be willing to live without my "drug of choice" to get through the hard patches of my days.  I am willing now.   I pray to remain willing throughout the day.  I pray for increased faith and trust that I will survive while doing without and find something better in thee.  Please let me taste and know something of that “something better” that I may be encouraged to stay away from what seems to satisfy and calm, but will ultimately harm me.

Lord Jesus, I offer my whole soul to thee, knowing that I will at some point feel to snatch it back and be in control of it again.  Thank you for your patience to allow me to give it back to you again and try to leave it in your faithful hands.  I wish I could give it to you and have you lock it up forever (“here’s my heart, Lord, take and seal it...”) where I can’t take it back, but that is not your plan.

Please help me trust you enough today and in future moments of stress and difficulty and dissatisfaction, to allow your will to be the controlling influence, to place my life, my soul, my control in thy hands and move forward at your side without reaching to take it back again.

I will seek this blessing in my heart throughout the day.  I believe it is your will.

Thank you, Lord, for your patience.  I would that you could claim me yours and never let go or let me pull away, but teach me to stay with you of my own will.

Amen.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable