Talking with Jesus

Sharing and capturing on Clean Hands, Pure Heart

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PhilH
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Talking with Jesus

Post by PhilH » Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 am

In the Thursday meeting we have been reading Clean Hands, Pure Heart.
We are now in Appendix A, which is about developing our relationship with the Savior. The section we are now reading deals with prayer to the Father and counseling with the Son.

Quote from CHPH:

A particularly plain example of the interplay of prayer to the Father and counseling with the Savior is seen in a letter Mormon wrote to his son, Moroni. He first told Moroni of his constant prayers (to the Father) for Moroni’s welfare:

I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end. (Moroni 8:3, emphasis added)

Mormon then said that he had heard that Moroni’s people were advocating the baptism of little children. Mormon felt that this practice was in error, so he counseled with the Savior about it:

For immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost, saying: Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the whole need no physician, but they that are sick; wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin. (Moroni 8:7-8)

Mormon made a practice of praying to the Father, acknowledging His supreme position as God over all, but when he needed specific instruction on a point of doctrine, he went directly to the Savior for advice. This is a perfect example of how both prayer to the Father and counseling with the Lord Jesus Christ are appropriate spiritual resources, available to us all. May these opportunities to commune with heaven bless our individual lives as they have the lives of so many who have gone before us.

That was the quote from CHPH. This is my sharing on that passage:

Sometimes the Lord leads us to a verse of scripture in order to teach us a new principle. Other times, he leads us to a verse to give support or second witness what we have already experienced. That is how it was with this scripture from Moroni. I had already experienced the marvelous gift of hearing my Savior's words when I was writing this chapter (Appendix). When I read what Mormon did in writing to his son, Moroni, I recognized the pattern of praying to the Father, but also going to the Son for specific guidance on a particular problem.

For so many years I didn't know I could talk to the Savior. When I read in the scriptures about people talking with Him, I assumed that a person must be at a very high spiritual place to be able to talk to Jesus and get answers. I have since come to understant the error in that kind of thinking.
When Jesus was here on earth, He didn't wait for people to repent before He counseled with them. He went to the sinners and the sick. Those who needed Him most. It has been a real revelation to me to realize that He is the same today. He will come to me if I exercise the faith to come to Him. It is not about worthiness. It never was. It is about willingness to trust, and to reach out. Jesus cares about each moment and decision of our lives. I have learned that He cares about the smallest things that trouble me. The phenomenon of asking for help when we lose something is a common story and experience among us. But it doesn't have to be about something lost.
We can ask for help with anything. I have learned that if I care about something, then Jesus cares about it, because He cares about me.

I am so grateful for this marvelous gift, and the knowledge that we can all have it. It is not just reserved for the "prophets" or spiritually advanced people. The Lord wants to advance us all.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable