It's OK to be tempted as long as we seek Him to overcome

Sharing and capturing on Clean Hands, Pure Heart

Moderator: PhilH

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kara
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

It's OK to be tempted as long as we seek Him to overcome

Post by Kara » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 am

This is from pp. 92-93 in CHPH:
"Why do I always feel recovered after each bout and then get caught off guard by the next wave?"

Often, seeing we've stopped acting out our habit for a time, we feel we're free of it forever. This may just be the time it strikes again. So the realization slowly dawns that we may always be subject to temptation and powerless over l~st. We come to see that it's all right to be tempted and feel absolutely powerless over it as long as we can get the power to overcome. The fear of our vulnerability gradually diminishes as we stay sober and work the Steps. We can look forward to the time when the obsession--not temptations--will be gone.

We begin to see that there's no power over the craving in advance; we have to work this as it happens each time. Therefore, each temptation, every time we want to give in to l~st or any other negative emotion, is a gift toward recovery, healing, and freedom--another opportunity to change our attitude and find unio with God. we didn't get here in a day; it took practice to burn the addictive process into our being. It takes practice to make our true Connection. (Sexaholics Anonymous, 67-69. Italics original; bold emphasis added)
I have just experienced this. I had a few weeks of abstinence from mb and P*rn, and I started to get complacent. My problem was that I didn't take the temptations (which were small at first--not do my reading and capturing being the key one) and use it as an opportunity to change my attitude and find Union with God. Instead I sought through worldly means (distraction, mostly) to avoid it. And while I didn't get to the point of actually engaging in the SA again, I engaged in other compulsions and my heart got harder and my pride puffed me up and I followed after my own will pretty darned quickly.

I thank the Lord that things didn't get worse than they did, and I thank Him for giving me strength to put on the brakes and get back on track. I want to make sure that I pray to Him and really connect with Him every day, and seek that Connection every time there is l~st or a negative emotion (a big one for me is feeling overwhelmed).

My SA and the temptaiton to indulge in it aren't an indication of what a "horrible" person I am; rather, when the temptation comes it is an opportunity to reach to the Lord and learn have Him change me. I love it framed that way.

Kara

Bill
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Kara,

Fortunately having an addiction doesn't mean we are "horrible" just sinners. And that includes everyone else too, one way or another.

It's not only OK to be tempted it's really impossible to not be tempted while yet in this mortal state. Even Christ was tempted. That's one of the main reasons for being in mortality apparently.

But we can, in time, overcome many temptations by not becoming complacent in working the steps, connecting with God and others, etc. so that we are applying the Atonement to our lives and being strenghted through the Grace (enabling power) of Christ, etc. By the Grace of Christ our heart's desires can also be changed so that our temptations are reduced in many ways and perhaps some even eliminated, but there will always be some kind of temptation in our lives and mercifully the Lord doesn't require us to become perfect in this life, at least not in the sense that we no longer sin at all. Perhaps we can become "perfect" in the sense that we are mature spiritually, i.e. have learned to rely on the Savior completely, but I'm sure that even happens gradually.

Take care,

Bill